“PowerApps is a service for building and using custom business apps that connect to your data and work across the web and mobile—without the time and expense of custom software development.”
Using Power Apps, you can quickly build custom business apps that connect to your business data stored either in the underlying data platform (Common Data Service) or in various online and on-premises data sources (SharePoint, Excel, Office 365, Dynamics 365, SQL Server, and so on).
When to use PowerApps: Main Advantages
The list of the main advantages of using PowerApps includes the following:
- Pulling multiple data sources together into one app. By utilizing Microsoft’s common data service (CDS), PowerApps enables your employees to access business data from over 200 various data sources such as Outlook, Salesforce, SharePoint, Dropbox, Dynamics 365, OneDrive, SQL databases, PowerPoint, Excel, Twitter and many more. This allows staff to easily access and share business data on the go no matter their location.
- Boosted staff productivity. PowerApps lets businesses create desktop and mobile apps designed for their specific functions and needs.
- Control, security, and compliance. Microsoft PowerApps gives businesses complete control via its admin center. This is where businesses can see all their listed apps and administer data policies, permissions and user control options. Businesses benefit from full security, as every app created in PowerApps automatically links to Microsoft’s active directory domain service (ADDS), which authenticates, authorizes and enforces security policies for all devices and users.
- Creating a completely custom UI.
- Providing a user-friendly – mobile-first application for your users.
- More flexibility with the development of functions and controls.
- To design low-code applications without a complicated structure.
One thing to keep in mind with canvas-driven apps, you need to already have your data sources created or in production in order to build the framework of your app.
If you want to check PowerApps limitations and some disadvantages, you can check our article WHEN NOT TO USE POWERAPPS.